Learn how to upgrade to the newest version of the Newspaper Theme easily. Choose which way to update: via WordPress, FTP or Envato Market. Watch a step by step tutorial through an online video. Everything is done quickly, follow through the tutorial below.
Before you update, it is best practice to:
- Always check our update notes
- Always backup the files and the database, in case something goes wrong with the server you could use the backup to revert to the previous state.
- Do not keep older copies of the theme inside the WordPress themes folder
- Reset the cache after you update
- Update the plugins. The theme required and recommended plugins are included in the theme package inside the ../Newspaper-tf/plugins folder. Please read the plugin update guide.
Download the files necessary from ThemeForest
Log into your ThemeForest account. From the “Downloads” section, look for the Newspaper Theme. Click the download button next to it and choose to download the Installable WordPress Theme (the WordPress file). Great! Now, when the download finishes, choose your update method:
- Through WordPress
- Via FTP
- Using the Envato Market
Each method has its own instructions, so let’s start with the first one!
How to update the Newspaper Theme via WordPress
Before you begin, go to your WordPress Admin Dashboard > Appearance > Themes and deactivate the current Newspaper Theme. When you make the upgrade to a newer version, delete the old version. Don’t worry, your content won’t be lost.
Download the newest version of the Newspaper Theme from ThemeForest. If you downloaded the “All Files & Documentation,” you need to unzip the archive file. The “Newspaper.zip” file will be inside it.
From your Appearance > Themes, choose to “Add New Theme.” Upload the “Newspaper.zip” file and click on the “Install Now” button. After it is finished uploading, make sure to activate your theme and update your plugins. Find out more about activating the Newspaper Theme here, and about updating your plugins here.
How to update the Newspaper Theme via FTP
If you want to know how to update the Newspaper Theme via FTP, you need to first place your website in maintenance mode. Use a plugin to do this, for example, Ultimate Maintenance Mode, WP Maintenance Mode, and many others.
Now open the folder “Themes” located in “Your Site’s Name/Wp-Content/Themes” and backup your Newspaper Theme folder by saving it somewhere on your computer. You can also choose to delete it. Your content won’t be lost, but please note that if you have any theme code modifications, they will be lost. You have to reapply them after the update is over.
Connect your FTP account using Filezilla. Navigate to the WordPress theme directory within Filezilla (“Your Site’s Name/Wp-Content/Themes”). Retrieve the “Newspaper.zip” file from your Themeforest download and extract it. Drag and drop the new “Newspaper Theme” folder into “Your Site’s Name/Wp-Content/Themes,” overwriting the existing files. Update all of your plugins, for more information regarding this visit this link.
Update the Newspaper Theme automatically
How to update the Newspaper Theme automatically: you need to download the Envato Market plugin first. To do that, visit this link to get the plugin: https://envato.com/market-plugin/
1. – Upload the Envato WordPress plugin (.zip file that you downloaded).
2. Activate it.
3. – Create your personal Token – To create a token, access the provided link on the plugin settings page and follow the on-screen instructions.
4. – Insert your Envato token key (not the token name) in the designated field.
5. – Add a new item – Add your theme to the list of purchased items. You will need the personal token again and the Envato item ID number. These are 5489609 for Newspaper and 9512331 for Newsmag.
If everything is correctly set up to this point and you save your changes, a new tab called themes will appear in the plugin settings.
6. – Update your theme – Press the update theme button and wait for the update to finish.
7. – Update the plugins. Read more about how to do that here.
If you have an old version of Newspaper Theme, it’s always wise to update to explore new features offered by each patch. In the “What’s New” panel, in the main menu of our website, you can read about the new implementations of each version.
So, have you updated your Newspaper Theme, yet? Also, which method did you use to do it? Tell us about it in the comment box below!